Anyone who has walked our desert knows that broken glass is something you see every day. I originally set out to photograph a Joshua tree but on my adventure back I spotted this pile of glass. Now normally I would have just walked by, but since I was looking for ordinary objects to become more extraordinary I thought the glass might be fun to photography. When looking at the glass through the lens I began to see the glass in a different form, my daughter thought it was beautiful and my son thought it was jewels here is what I got…
Process: I really enjoyed taking these photos. It was a lot of fun laying on the ground, metering the light, and zooming in on different pieces of glass and focusing on different aspects as well. After I was done shooting from different angles, I took my photos to Adobe Photoshop CS6 Were I edited them. Since this program was fairly new to me I kept my edits simple. I increased my exposure, vibrancy, and on a few of my photos I increased the saturation. I also adjusted the brightness and darkness of the photos to help keep the brightness of the glass or darkness of the glass bottle. I then created my blended photo which was a challenge at first but Sister Esplin’s steps really helped my overlay the pictures and find fun ways to blend my photos. I blended my photos with the color burn, changed the opacity to 70% on the top photo and lightened it up. If you look closely you can see glass pieces in the sage bush. Then I created a college where I added my favorite shots after editing was complete and I did a clipping mass to fit my photos into my rectangle shape.
Critique: I critiqued Lani Wong and Connie Willard’s collages. Lisa Smith, Savanah Raymond-Burke, Connie Shirley, and my instructor critiqued me. I was advised to change the typography because it was hard to read, change the background color and correct spacing between images. I took the advice that was given to me and made changes to my college. I changed the background color to match the blue from one of the glass pieces, I changed the font from decorative to San Serif, and I corrected the spacing between the images.
Font: Noteworthy (San Serif)